Sunday, February 1, 2009

Boys do cry

It was a cold morning in December 2007 and I was speaking to a newly married B about the missus and how life has changed in the past 3 weeks (B’s typical answer was- It’s all the same-No difference). B and I are close in a very different way- we don’t talk much about life/feelings. We just keeping calling each other to ensure our life and career are on track. To avoid the awkward moment, and knowing no other mechanism, I had to say something funny- So I quipped- “Now you have someone to take to a movie and make out”- B tried to keep me happy and let out one of those fake laughter’s- You know the one we use your boss says something and think its really funny when its not. He went on to mention that he and the missus had watched Taare Zameen Par last week. Most of my friends are movie buffs and everyone had waxed lyrical about the movie and told me that it was impossible not to cry. So I asked B if he cried and he said yes.

I am not a huge movie fan for a couple of reasons- One – When I go to theatre – My constant need to yap and make smart ass remarks puts off most people and they start hurling abuses at me. Two- I have the attention span of a three year old. But I wanted to watch this movie and find out what all the fuss about. More importantly I wanted to see if I will cry. My sister sobs like a “two year old who has had her candy taken away” every time she watches Kuch Kuch Hota hai and it pisses me off so much for I really think there is nothing to cry about. I thought TZP was another KKHH all over again. So I did end up watching the movie. I did cry when I watched the movie but in my defense it was not for the Dharsheel kids acting but for a small documentary which comes in the movie. So it really doesn’t count.

Fast forward, Jan 2009- Cold February morning- I wake up at half seven and turn the TV on to watch the Australian Open final- Watched a fantastic game between 2 great champions and thoroughly enjoyed the contest without holding an ill-feeling towards the opponent (Nadal- I am a Fedex fan but not a big one- Once Agassi quit I just picked Federer because I thought he was the man who is good enough to knock Pistol Pete off the perch) which is something which never happens when I watch a football /cricket match. My hatred for all things Liverpool / Sachin (Not any more) is/was so intense that I enjoy a perverse pleasure when they don’t perform as well which is not in the spirit of the sport but I couldn’t care less-(Actually I could I am just not trying harder) .

I bawled like a baby when I watched Fed getting all emotional about his defeat. The man is a champion and he hates loosing (I know how he feels exactly). It got me thinking – I have cried so many times while watching a sporting contest- Be the numerous occasions when Lara couldn’t inspire the Windies/ United’s defeat to Benfica to get knocked out of the Champions league/ Our gut wrenching defeat to the blue noses on the eve of the 50th anniversary of the Munich Disaster. How can you not cry when you see Pete Sampras pull out a note from his pregnant wife to over come a difficult time in a game, when Sachin gets a hundred a mere days after his dad attains heavenly abode and looks up in the sky,or David Beckham scores the penalty against Argentina in 2002 world cup and cries thinking about all the hate emails/chants he has had to endure after his moment of madness in the 98 world cup. Sport brings out the raw emotions in people- players and fans alike.

This is when I actually realized what people mean when they say I actually cried when I watched the movie. Art and Sport have this unique ability to make you relate to people we don’t even know in flesh and blood but still make us feel for them. What will we all be without Art and Sport? I shudder to think

Cheers
S

PS: Veteran Actor Nagesh has decided to leave us mere mortals and go back to where he came from. Rest in Peace great man- You have given us an opportunity to realize how brilliant you were for something’s are treasured only when you no longer have them. One of the few times I remember crying when I watched a movie was – Nammavar Scene where he tries to keep his calm after his daughter’s death- Absolute genius

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written!!!There was a small discussion with couple of my friends who felt Federer should have exhibited a calm composure. I did not agree. Winning is important, after all. I also happened to watch AO 2006 ceremony - Fed cried at that time as well, the difference was he was the winner.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised you cried upon seeing Federer. I think more than the disappointment, it is the emotional let-out. As he rightly said, it is clearly difficult for these guys to come straight after the game and talk to the crowd. The best thing about the presentation ceremony was the good camaraderie between Federer and Nadal.

Nice post though...RIP Nagesh...great man.

Sharath said...

Suds,

Clearly shows how much it means to him- The Man is a class act.

Beem,

The TV companies generally have a clause about post match interviews and it will lead to fines if players dont attend it. But it is fantastic to see it means so much to them

Cheers
S

Anonymous said...

I do pass comments while watching a movie and in my experience of watching with couple of my frnds, many does that. So tats no reason for not being a movie-buff. Mabe tat would have restrained others from accompanying u to a movie :-)

On the topic, to my knowledge, I never cried watching a movie / sport. But definitely some movies have made me emoitional and brought a slight tear. Once such recent movie was "Abhiyum Naanum". During the climax sequences, the bonding was well narrated and made me poignant.

Prasanna

Dinesh said...

Hey,

Nice one! It is true that a lot of men cry for sports more than anything else in life! I remember sobbing when Sachin got out at Chennai and India failed to beat Pak! How one moment could've changed a lifetime???!!! I've never cried for most movies that women sob their heart out.. Can never understand how KKHH or KKKG can be anythiong but funny!! (So much emotion for so long does have an opposite effect!)

Prayers for Nagesh!! He has left his footprints far deeply to be washed away! Awesome sense of timing!!

Sharath said...

Dhindu,

I sure dont cry for chick flicks.

Daari,

True- My attention span doesnt help either

Cheers
S

Pramod said...

Oh yes, sporting events bring tears in my eyes. Each time I see a sporting star I admire get a medal, I weep. Its about the emotion attached. I know how I felt when i stood on the dias to get a school level medal, so that just multiplies when i see someone get a medal at eth highest level.

Movies move me, but not yet to the extent that I have cried. TZP was very nice.

Nagesh is a man has given us numerous laughs. May his soul rest in peace.

Princess Fiona said...

i think im the only one who thought TZP was a so-so film and dindt understand wat the hype was abt...parts were nice yes..but not a tear jerker in my book!

and fed-ex bawl! sigh....i wanted to do nothin more to reach out and hug him...of course it helps he looks hot as hell! :)

nice post!

Sharath said...

Prams,

Hope you are feeling better! Nice to have you back. Keep visiting

Princess,

I dont think I am ready to admit to the world that Fed-ex is hot! I hope that day never comes ....Not the there is anything wrong with it (ala Seinfeld). TZP was an ok movie....the kid or Aamir didnt make me cry..It was the damn documentary

Glad you liked the post! keep visiting

Cheers

S

Unknown said...

Boys never cry...
Only little girls like Sharath do...
End of discussion...

:P