Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Could there beeee a better Bing????

There it is…I have at last succumbed to the pressure (self induced I must admit) and here I am writing my first ever blog. I have always felt that not even my mom would really care about my thoughts/opinions. I still do, but then I have been wanting to do something different of late.

I wanted to join a Salsa class, but being the lazy git that I am I have been procrastinating it for eternity now. By starting to write a blog I achieved the twin purpose of doing something new and not having to move my ass. (Feels good to realize that I am getting paid while I do this!)

I started watching friends about 2 years ago when I moved to Bermuda (My life was all about Metti Olli/Chitti/Lollu Sabha till then) I took a liking to Chandler’ character instantaneously. I loved his sarcasm, his perceived machoness (like when he sports a moustache/ keeps pretending hugs are not cool despite hugging Joey a zillion times during the show). For a while I didn’t realize why I loved Chandler Bing so much for it is pretty clear that Matthew Perry is no where in the league of Al pacino/Tom Hanks/Kamal Hassan or Sivaji (yes I honestly believe Kamal and Sivaji are right up there with the best Hollywood actors)

Then it struck me, I love Chandler because it is ME!

I am quite popular among my legions (which consists of the 10 poor souls who laugh at all my stupid jokes or are they laughing at me???) for my sarcastic and witty comments

I use humor as a defense mechanism as I have the social skills of an animal carcass

I do a job which I hate and am in it for the money and the security it gives me

I can’t dance even if my life depended on it (Ooi..you at the back? I can hear you saying “I thought you intended to join the salsa class)

I am pathetic with women. I never understood if I am more uncomfortable with drunk guys or crying women!

I have always had this crazy fear that I am actually going to die alone. Forget girlfriend/wife I keep thinking that I will die when and there will be nobody around me

A person liking me is more akin to acquired taste. I am not the kind of guy who makes the best first impression. (Thank God, I am told most women don’t believe in Love at first sight. Guys like me need a chance) – Incase you guys didn’t get the connection- remember how Phoebe tutors Bing when he goes for the interview in the advertising company as she thinks he doesn’t create a good first impression

Could there beeee a better bing.?

Cheers
S

PS: Beem, keeps telling me that since I have most of the traits that chandler has I might end up with a hottie like Monica –I just say “From your lips to god’s ears”

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing... Just when i thought you were running out of things to talk about, you go start a blog...

Classic!!!

Unknown said...

like the part about doing this and getting paid - wish I could do that !!

self deprecation is definitely one way to score with women!! dont over do it though!!!!

Sharath Narayan said...

Raja,

Thanks..Karine and you are my gurus!
Arvind,
I will keep churning enough dross to keep us occupied

Aravind said...

Dei, I thought the first comment should be about sports given you love it so much! But then it is about something that you love more than sport - yourself! ;) so its all good...

Not sure if I would agree about your being the Bing...am sure your commitment levels will improve ten-fold in the next year or so...just wait for it and reference this comment when it happens!

Unknown said...

Don't underestimate yourself, perhaps you should give yourself a chance before you form any decisions on your personality. When one is faced with a situation, its only then you get to know yourself. I have surprised myself a few times.

Dinesh said...

Machan, I can give you serious competition on being Bing. May not be as humourous, but when u use humour as a defence mechanism u do it to repel, and am sure i do it better than you as the humour in itself is corny!!!

The one bit that's different is that there aint just one Monica. There have been many starts and no ends!! Ends do justify means, but end is never in sight!!

I so relate to all you've said coz i was exactly there a till a few months ago. These things change and am sure u'll find the one that will change you!! Just needs a lil more believing in the self that there is still that side of u and its just that its not explored yet!!

Welcome mate! Always been an admirer and will always be!! Maybe the motivation i needed to start blogging!!

Unknown said...

Good to hear that the bug has got you too. as far as Friends goes, my knowledge about is pretty poor. but it is actually good to read someone's blog especially when he/she writes about himself/herself and that he/ she thinks that this is the way they feel about themselves or how the world looks at them and about scoring with women i think u can add me to your list.
P.S : Good to be 1 out of the 10 in the list

Pramod said...

From a cricket lover like you my first thoughts was thatthis post was about Brett "Binga" Lee. And now i know its not.

Very interesting parallel you have drawn for yourself there. If you are so much like Chandler, then Monica is waiting for you. I only pity you for eth fact that u have to go thru a phase called "janice" before you get to Monica :D:D:D:D

Welcome to the bloggers world mate!!!

Sharath said...

Beem,Thanks for the comments! Was just sighting the uncanny resemblence in the characteristics.

Parul, Absolutely right. I have surprised myself many times when faced with adversaries. The intent of the blog was not to get any symapathies. Appreciate your comments. Keep visiting!

Sharath said...

Prams, I guess the posts on cricket will follow. I think it is inevitable.

Dhindhu, Thanks mate. One of the few admirers! always grateful for that.

Dog,Welcome da..glad you left the comment. BTW "scoring with women .." makes us sound a little desperate which I am sure I am not.

Anonymous said...

There you go another way to kill time at work, maybe i should take it up too.You can stop talking and write all those things in blog which will increase your chances of getting a girl.

Vatsa said...

Welcome aboard. Looking by the first post, I think your intentions are surely beyond blogging. Maybe a quick call to the 10 Downing Street of our family might help :-)

Sharath said...

Vatsa,

Thanks man.Honestly thats not the intention. All the comments have made me look pathetic and desperate which I can reassure you is not the case!