Monday, April 7, 2008

Are Champions allowed to be arrogant?

How often are you a part of a conversation in a coffee room at work that goes like “I hate the Aussies- those arrogant pricks”. Quite often I would assume. That begs the question - Are Champions allowed to be arrogant? Is there an unwritten code of conduct for the greats? Are Australia allowed to pay little respect to the lesser nations? Can the likes of Ronaldo show-boat without being kicked around? Are the likes of Cantona /Henry allowed to carry that smirk on their face every time they score a goal that all opposition fans grudgingly applaud but want to punch a hole in their face?

Let me use my example. I am no champion but am ultra competitive in life so much so that I do not see losing in anything as a part of the occupational hazard. Every time we played cricket in the gallies of R A Puram I backed myself to win it and I talked the talk riling up quite a few of my dear friends. I have always enjoyed these contests and I hope I am speaking for the few who competed with me that they enjoyed those battles. It just adds an extra spice to the battle and makes it interesting not to mention the added pressure to walk the walk

As much as I appreciate what the likeable champions of this world like Pete Sampras/Tiger woods (not as much as I have an inherent dislike towards the sport) and Sachin have done, I would prefer McEnroe and Brian Lara any day over the two for the sheer drama that they provide during the game. These guys are not trying to be disrespectful; they are just looking for an enemy to challenge themselves and do things that are only tales from the fiction for the lesser mortals.

Jose Mourinho in his famous first interview with the English media (yes those cocky over-rated idiots) claimed that he had to be treated on par with the likes of Wenger and Fergie for he was the “special one”. Come on lets give it to him .God knows that it’s that damn difficult to be humble when you get as good him. As much as we all love Sachin tendulkar’s calm demeanor nobody would forget the day when he took on Mcgrath in a war of words (Nairobi in the ICC trophy). Ganguly is revered in India mainly because he stood up to bullies like Steve Waugh.

Having said all this, there is a line that people should not cross. It is very hard to draw this particular line and it is very subjective. I don’t approve of the Oz trying to disrespectfully push Sharad Pawar out of the dais and celebrate the victory. The arrogance has to be displayed on the field-on the biggest stage of them all, when it actually matters. I don’t approve of Sreesanth’s antics on a cricket field or that of Andre Nel-the fact that those two cant be labeled as champions by any stretch of imagination is a different story altogether.

For most people it’s a question of convenience, if you root for the champion you think that the arrogance is permissible but not if he is a rival. Sport would be so much poorer if champions, for the fear of being admonished by the rival fans stop being who they are. Love them or hate them you just can’t ignore them.

Cheers
S

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Go Work...
It is business day 5....
LOL

Anyway...
I have no problem with sports men being arrogant, i just have a problem with the fans being arrogant...

Somewhere, somehow, i fail to see why supporters of a team get the right to be arrogant and proud because they support a high performing team...

:)

Anonymous said...

Champions are allowed to be arrogant...it's as simple as that.

It's no longer a gentleman's game - never has been and never will be one. As much as the purists hate to admit it, they love the banter and the sledging and tension as much as we who watch it

But there has to be a line - and the line is not what's being said, but where it is being said. When its man to man - on the field - all's fine. But when people start washing their dirty linen in public, it's pretty sh*tty.

my two cents.

Cheers

P.S - it's about as coherent as any blog gets!

Pramod said...

I dont like arrogance in sportspersons - even if they are champions. I am, therefore, not such a big fan of McGrath, Ferrari , M Schumacher , martina hingis to name a few.

As for your anecdotes, i think not all are quite relevant and heres why - In Nairobi McGrath was being arrogant and Sachin was merely standing up for himself and returning the flak. That was not arrogance.

As for Saurav, again, standing up against Steve Waugh was not arrogance. Taking his tee shirt off and flashing it from the Lords balcony was arrogance.

All said and done u summed it up well by saying - Love em or hate em, u cant ignore em.

Champions should not be allowed to be arrogant, esp when most champions are role models for society.

Dinesh said...

Your last line said it all. Its what Schumi said about himself earlier "You can either like me or hate me but u just can't ignore" Well if u are a force to be recknoned with, there is no harm in showing it on the field. To quote ur favorite tag line "Even god knows...." One of the reasons i liked watching WWE was the attitude or arrogance and secretly wished i was that damn good only and only coz its taunting to be that arrogant!!
I remember we have had this discussion before, and my comments stays the same. It gets on my nerves if i come across "unworthy arrogance" One can be arrogant if he is the best or close to the best it gets at what one does. Kamalhassan, Aamir Khan, Schumi, Lara, Henry, Ivan Lendl, McEnroe to name a few
Being arrogant does not mean they are not humble otherwise. But when ur taking the battle to someone u dont want to bow unless ur being humbled. "Never bend ur knees before insolent might" as english literature might teach you
Does not take anything away from people like Sachin, Sampras who are one the best that ever graced the sod but have their feet grounded no matter what they do. They may not provide floyambance on field and off it, but their presence is felt

Sharath said...

Pramod,

I think Sachin was the naughty one in Nairobi. To quote Mcgrath "That's one of the games I remember where I didn't say a word at all. He was the one sledging me. He was giving me a bit of a hard time that day, out there playing his shots, and maybe he said what he did to fire himself up. I was the one on the receiving end, so it's not all one-way traffic.". Are you saying you didnt love watching in on TV?

Again, Sourav was the man who started coming late for the toss and kept reminding steve that they hadnt won in India and India were the better side..that is what I meant by arrogance in the episode.

Thanks again for the different perspective. All I am trying to say is we should get down from our moral high horse and enjoy champions for what they are.

Keep visiting

Cheers
S

Sharath said...

Anonymous,

Thanks. The credit is even sweeter when you know it comes from a person whose writing I have enjoyed all the way thru.

Pramod said...

Sharath : maybe Sachin and Saurav were the initiators in those instances and I definitely enjoyed it on TV, but I enjoyed it because it McGrath and Steve waugh were copping it. I wudnt have enjoyed it it for eg. it was Jayawardene or a Vaas. See the drift???

And Oh yes!!!! Champions being arrogant, i missed out Gordon Ramsey, the super chef!!!! Seen his reality tv series by any chance???

Sharath said...

Pramod,

Fair enough. As for Ramsey, I have watched the odd episode and the man is a terror.

Cheers
S